Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What's Good About The Shepherd

We continued our exposition on the seven I AM statements of Jesus proclaimed in the Gospel according to John chapter 10:11-18 when Jesus said to the Pharisees I am the good shepherd. Contextually speaking, Jesus makes this claim in light of his healing of a blind man in chapter 9, who was taken to the Pharisees and was kicked out of the city because of his perceived sin which supposedly caused his condition. Jesus tells the people that the Pharisees are not the entrance way to eternal life, but rather in an illustrative manner, he compares the actions of a shepherd with his sheep. He says that the question as to what's good about the shepherd is answered in that whenever the sheep gets in precarious and dangerous situations, the shepherd will always be there for the sheep. Here is the sermon outline, I pray that this is a much a blessing as it was for First Mount Zion.

Thesis: in the most critical moments of our existence, our good shepherd proves to us that he is always on our side

I. Redemption of the Shepherd's Life

-verse 11--I am the good shepherd...the good shepherd lays down his life for his sheep
a. good shepherd is not fearful of his rivals - verse 12
b. good shepherd won't flee from his responsibility - verse 13

II. Relationship of the Shepherd's Lamb

-verse 14--I am the good shepherd...I know my own and my own know me
-verse 15--just as the father knows me and I know the father and I lay down my life for the sheep

III. Results of the Shepherd's Love

-verse 17--for this reason the father loves me because I lay down my life that I may take it up again
a. voluntarily
b. vicariously

No comments: