Monday, June 22, 2009

Sunday Stuff

Let me make a confession that I believe I have shared in a previous post, special days in church are not my favorite days to worship and preach in. I am turned off by the lack of attention that's paid to the importance of the preaching moment during worship, so much so, that I am often distracted for a momentarily by the actions and antics of those who come to be seen and not to worship. I may be a little harsh but please understand my convictions about this: the most important moment in any worship experience, I believe, is the moment of preaching and the subsequent decision that an unsaved sinner must make during the call to discipleship, and it bothers me to no end, when people take that moment for granted or don't have a high regard for it.

Having said all of that, worship yesterday at the First Mount Zion Church was off the hook! It began from sunday school, all the way to the invitation to discipleship. Penny was great with her class as usual, Jamal sang his face off during the worship in song period, I mean he really blessed the people, and the Lord showed up in a major way during the moment of preaching. It made me really forget my inhibitions with preaching during special days and I am grateful for the time we all shared with the Lord in worship.

I continued our small sermon series on encouragement with a message that has been a burden on my heart to preach for some time, out of a familiar passage housed in Proverbs 3:5-6 which I labeled "When Life Does Not Make Sense". This message dealt with our trouble in dealing when life gets confusing to a child of God. Solomon writes this great book so that the reader is shown how to live a wise life and is instructed on how to be successful in life through an intense fear of the Lord. Chapter 3 is a picture of a father who motivates his inexperienced child on how to trust God completely when life makes no sense. In those moments of confusion, God doesn't desire us to fall to pieces to give up and throw in the towel, but to trust God in moments of misery and confusion.

After church, Penny took me to one of my favorite local Italian restaurants for dinner and we came home and just relaxed and enjoyed our day. I thank God for great days!!!!!

3 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am so happy you had a very good Father's Day both in worship and your personal time. I was home ill and didn't attend services. I know what you mean about worship on special days. I happen to LOVE those times in worship when you can tie in the blessing of the holiday as you praise the Lord. I realize all are not focussed on the true meaning of worship even when there is no holiday. Everyone must have that growing (spiritually) process within in order to do both. Come to worship and rejoice in the Lord and the spirit of the holiday. There is a time and place for everything. We worship God first then acknowledge the holiday unless it is a religious holiday.

Happy Belated Father's Day. I Love you.

Momma

Clinton Smith said...

I don't like special days either! God be praised for the Word of God on these days.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Brother, glad to hear you had a wonderful worship experience, great preaching and special time with Penny. Man...I wish we had more time to fellowship back in April. I look forward to fellowship opportunities in the future. Keep up the good work; and you need to KNOW that I am getting ready to borrow some of your outline from Psalm 46. Thanks!!!!