Thursday, October 11, 2007

Preaching @ New Hope Baptist Church

On last night, I had the expressed privilege to preach the opening service for my Pastor, Joe A. Carter's 14th Pastoral Anniversary at The New Hope Church, Newark, NJ. This was an honor of the highest magnitude for me, as I am his first son in the ministry, and for me to finally preach during this grand celebration is without a doubt a great highlight in my ministry. Having said that, this was also the most nervous that I have ever been since my initial sermon almost 10 years ago. I had to really talk to the Lord for direction as I wondered what do I say to the man whom the Lord has used to pour into me to develop my preaching and pastoral ministry? The answer is that I didn't say anything to him, but I attempted to let the Word of God say something about him. The Lord showed up and showered his power on that place. Here is the outline:

Title: Approved By God
Text: I Thessalonians 2:4

Thesis: Whenever God calls a leader, he sends them through a series of tests to prove that their faithfulness is genuine

I. Faithful in His Message - verse 4

-entrusted with the gospel

a. confidence in the face of discord - verse 2
b. did not compromise in the ferver of his declaration - verse 3

II. Faithful in His Methods - verse 4

-not to please men

III. Faithful in His Motivation - verse 4

-rather to please God

a. did not propogate his fame - verse 5 - words of flattery
b. did not perpetuate his fortune - pretext of greed
c. please the father - verse 4

No comments: