Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sunday Stuff

The Lord really showed up this past Sunday at the First Mount Zion Church. I know that has been my testimony for the last few weeks, but it is the "Gospel truth", the Spirit of the Lord has really been moving within the walls of the church and in the hearts of the people of God. I wish I could take credit for it through my preaching, or my worship, or my personality, but that would make me out to be both a liar and a glory hound.

The reason why the Spirit of the Lord has shown himself in our church for the last few weeks, greater than ever before, is totally because our God is a prayer answering God. I have really discovered that when God's people pray, God's power will appear! The congregation has become more engaged in study, in worship and in their expectation that God is getting ready to bless us tremendously.

Worship was outstanding once again as Jamal got the congregation ready for our worship in the Word of God.

We concluded our series on the book of Ezra which I tagged the series, Restoration and Rededication, with our closing message found in Ezra 10:1-5, which I labeled, Prayer Changes Things. Chapter 10 is a continuation of chapter 9, in that Ezra discovers that the people of God had begun the practice of engaging in marriage with pagan women. This act greatly disturbed Ezra, and he took his issue with the people's disobedience to the law of God to the Lord in prayer. Chapter 10 chronicles for us the results of God's anointed going to God on behalf of the people of God.

The reality is that when we pray for the Lord to fix that which is wrong with us, we will discover that prayer will indeed turn things around on our behalf. Fred Hammond sang a song, late in the midnight hour, God's gonna turn it around, it's gonna work in your favor. I do believe that as our church engages in prayer for the deliverance of our congregation, that prayer will turn things around for us.

This past weekend, I received the terrible and heart wrenching news that Dr. Cedric Britt of Fort Worth, TX went home to be with the Lord. Cedric Britt was one of the last of the nice guys in ministry. He was a great personality and a great preacher. The church community has been better because we have had Cedric Britt to dwell among us for a little while. Please keep his family and his church in your prayers.

Please keep me in your prayers this week, Saturday is 3 year anniversary that my Momma went to rest with Jesus.

5 comments:

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Sounds like a wonderful day in the Lord! God bless you my Brother!

Anonymous said...

God bless your work Lance. And you are right prayer does change things.

May God continue to grant you his grace and strength to deal with the homegoing of your mom.

Praying for you.

Tony R.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I too am a product of prayer and know full well that God hears when we call. I am excited for you as you witness firsthand God's blessings on your ministry and congregation. Continue to strive for the masteries. You are a great preacher and friend. Praying for you as you remember momma "in a happy way."

Ronald said...

Sound preaching/teaching Pastor. Each victory will help you some other to win. Celebrate all that God has done, is doing and yet to perform in your life and the life of your congregation.

I’m praying for you concerning the lost of your mother. I lost mine in 1997.

God will give you strength,
Ron

Anonymous said...

I just googled First Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Newark today and ran into your blog. I was impressed with your message, have subscribed and will continue to check it out.

I was born and raised at First Mt. Zion and moved away after high school, but...it's good to see you utilizing social media to spread the word, especially from my home church!

God bless you and the congregation.