Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sunday Stuff

Great day this past Lord's Day in worship. After spending the week at the National Baptist Convention, I could not wait to get back to the pulpit to preach.

I heard some real good preaching on last week, but two stand out in particular. Dr. John Adolph, Antioch BC. Beaumont, TX and Pastor George Hurtt, Mt. Sinai BC, Los Angeles, CA, both preached us crazy. I was ever the more proud of George because he is a good friend and whenever any friend receives that kind of opportunity to stand on that stage, I feel just as happy as if I were the one preaching.

I continued our series on the Songs of Ascents found in Psalm 120-134, with an exposition of Ps. 121 which I labeled A Song of Assurance.

This Psalm is the answer to the psalter's problems that he faced in Ps. 120. In 120, he lamented the fact that he had to dwell in the midst of two groups of people who specialized in creating chaos and despised peace.

He finds the answer to that problem in Ps. 121, which begins with verse 1, which is one of the most misinterpreted verses in the entire bible. Many preachers/teachers down through the years have mistakenly stated that the Psalter was saying that he will place his sight upon the hill to receive the help he needed. But the psalter was not making a statement in verse 1, but rather he was asking a powerful interrogative. He is really saying, shall I look to the hills from whence cometh my help.

While he asks the question in verse 1, he doesn't make us wait too long for the answer. In verse 2 he makes it clear where his help is coming from, he says no my help comes from the Lord. He finds assurance in the fact that when trouble comes, God is the ultimate and essential resourse for all help for His people (I almost shouted again while I was typing that last sentence).

I have been bothered by a lot of things going on in this country and I have been planning to write a post about it, but have been a little hesitant because I want to make sure that my words and my tone will be received and not dismissed. But I will write this post before the end of the week, so please pray that I am led to say the right things in a manner which will be most effective.

5 comments:

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Rev, as ususal great post and great sermon and I look forward to seeing the post that God is writing on your heart.

Don't lose too much weight, God needs us all sizes, we all can't be skinny like spoon, lol

Keep running,

Owens

Clinton Smith said...

Great post sir! I need the reminder of where my help comes from.

Anonymous said...

Good work Mann. Look for to your thoughts concerning the troubling times of our country.

Keep up the great work.

Tony R.

Anonymous said...

Great post as always Dr. Mann. Thanks for sharing your experiences.



McGhee

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Pastor Mann... As always, I thank you for your dedication and diligence to "rightly divide." I constantly pray for you and your ministry of the word to His people.

Shalom,
Kevin