Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Hattie L. Mann


Today, the woman who the Lord allowed to give birth to bring me into this world, was born in 1933, in Aliquippa, PA, she would have been 75 years old. It was two years ago on March 21, that the Lord took my mother home to be with him in eternity, and my life has had a deep void in it ever since.


My mother was born during the height of the Jim Crow days while being raised in Americus, GA, and she had to endure her share of heartaches. At the age of 10, she witnessed the sensless death of both of her parents to the gunfire of an intruder into their home. At the age of 17, she was forced to leave Americus by her maternal grandfather and come to live with her older brother in Newark, NJ.


My mother was a short-order cook by trade, and she was known all throughout the city of Newark for her barbeque and her peach cobbler. As a charter member of the New Eden Baptist Church of Newark, Mommy served as the only usher of the church for the first 8 years of its existence. She was a faithful member of that church under the leadership of the late Rev. Dr. John H. Shorter. By the time I came along as the youngest child of five, my mother's health was beginning to fail, and from the time I was five years of age, I had the charge of being her caregiver along with my oldest sister, until her demise. I truly missed the opportunity to put her memories on paper because I believe that what she could say, would be a jewel for other young people to read.


Rest on Mommy, I will see you in eternity!

1 comment:

msgcarter said...

I don't know if we know each other, but I surely do remember your mother's face! My grandfather was Reverend J.L. Toler of New Salem Baptist Church who was a very dear and close friend of Reverend Shorter with whom we had fellowship every year on the 4th Sunday of March until they both went to glory!

I googled New Eden and your blog came up, so, I decided to make a comment.

I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I will pray that God continue to fill your void with peace!

Gena Carter