Monday, April 21, 2008

The Church That's Lost Its Loving Feeling

On yesterday, we began our series on the 7 Churches of Asia Minor, which I have entitled Strengthening the Foundations of the Church, with a look at the first church that Jesus told the Apostle John to write to in Rev. 2:1-7, the church at Ephesus. In this letter, Jesus opens by telling them that He is the one holds the seven stars (church) in his right hand and this actually gives Him the authortiy to write this letter to them in the first place.

He begins by giving them an accomodation in verses 2-3 by telling them I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and I see that you will examine those who come to you saying that they are preachers of the Gospel to prove that they are genuine. He moves on to verse 4 when he tells them that although they have a lot going for them, they have displayed works, labor and patience, but they have lost their first love. What is the first love? Our first love is not to service of ourselves, but the first love of the Church is to the creator of the church, Jesus Christ. And the foundation that Jesus is trying to strengthen at Ephesus was to get back to doing everything you can, but make sure that you are motivated by your love for Jesus Christ. Paul says in I Corinthians 13:1, though I speak with the tongue of men and angels and have not love, you are as sounding brass and tinkling cymbols. Here is the sermon outline:

Thesis: it is only as you love Christ fervently that you can ever serve him faithfully

I. Consider Your Past Activities

-verse 5...remember therefore from where you have fallen

II. Change Your Present Attitude

-verse5...repent

III. Come Back To Your Primary Association

-verse 5...and do the works you did at first

2 comments:

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Mann, let me tell you--I am not only enjoying your blogs and the new friendship--but I LOVE your sermonic outlines and trend of thought! I have been praying about doing a series through the 7 churches of Asia Minor. I am glad to see such a structered outline and your apparent focus and preaching prowess. Question: Are these outlines transportable and permitted to be used by others? At any rate, I am praying for the entire series; and that God will continue to speak through you as you share and impart His Word. Thanks!!!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Lance, please check under my comments on 'Inspiration' when you get a chance. Someone has left you a comment (well really a question)! Your answer may perhaps be more in depth than my own. :-)