Friday, April 25, 2008

Responding to Anonymous

I am becoming an extremely quick fan of blogs ever since I stumbled upon the blog of one of my favorite preachers in this country, H.B. Charles of Los Angeles, CA. It was due to my intrigue with his blog that I set out to start my own blog. Because I was a neophyte when I began my blog, I failed to check the settings to ensure that any one can made a comment to one of my blog entries (here I thought that I really knew what I was doing). So after I made a comment on one of my newer blogging buddies, Pastor Kraig Pullam's post on being inspired to do better, I noticed that someone who commented under the name of anonymous let me know what I did not know, that anonymous commentors were unable to post on my blog. So whoever you are anonymous, please accept my apologies and my gratitude for bringing this to my attention.

But I want to also commend you on bringing up a couple of touchy subjects within the Body of Christ, and that is homosexuality and molestation. Both of those subjects have polarized many of our churches so much so that a lot of the pastors of our churches refuse to address the issues, probably because either they are guilty of performing these acts themselves, or they are deftly afraid to preach/teach against them because they are worried that their choir stands will empty, musicians will leave, and most of all their tithes and offerings, and don't forget Pastor's Anniversary, will suffer greatly.

For if one is desirous of pastoring with a true Prophetic voice in times such as these, then one must hear the words of the Lord given to Jeremiah in 1:8, which says, be not afraid of their faces. We as ambassadors of the most high God, can not pastor the people of God effectively if we pastor in fear. And both of these subjects, more emphatically, homosexuality has caused many a pastor to hide in fear while sitting in the "middle seat".

Since we are not to be afraid of the faces of the people and having been exhorted along with Timothy by the Apostle Paul to preach the Word when they want to hear it or when they don't want to hear it, let me answer this question by saying clearly and concisely that homosexuality is a sin and abomination against God. I am not saying this based upon my own personal views of homosexuality, but I am basing my assertion on the fact that it is wrong because scripture declares it to be so. I am not referring to the most common passage found in Genesis 19 regarding the acts of depravity performed by the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, because many scholars have since attempted to ascertain that the original language of the text is ambiguous at best. But there is a passage of scripture that refuses to be clutched in grips of ambiguity, Leviticus 18:22 which clearly says, thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is an abomination. There is no gray area there: homosexuality is wrong according to the Word of God, and that's more than enough for me.

One last word about molestation. This is a serious problem both in church and in society as a whole. We need to deal with this issue more in bible studies, men's & women's ministry meetings, youth ministry meetings, etc., because if we don't we will have a church full of hurting folk who have never had help dealing with their issues. The church is supposed to be the place where the hurting can find help for all of their ailments.

Let me know what you think!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Pastor Lance. I have NEVER heard it put out that way in such detail in that manner. There are some aquiantances that for some reason ask ME these challenging questions staying within a circle of friends they feel comfortable with. And I do have a homosexual relative who has been put out of the home by a parent. I have been told that he thinks the reason for this lifestyle is because he was molested. There has never been any counseling on either but he is very much in church and it is not addressed there.

We already have people Sunday after Sunday hurting in the pews. Just looking for spiritual guidance to deal with the shame, hope for turning around and getting it right.

I can understand Pastors being fearful of approaching these subjects. I just hope that we will arrive to the point of healing the "whole" man emotionally,psychologicly as well as spiritually. There is so much more I want to know even with my own issues, But I thank you so much for taking the time.

Anonymous Blogger/L.J.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

LJ...I thank you for being brave enough to bring subjects like these to the attention of the people of God. Many of us feel that if we don't talk about them, they will go away. But your commitment to shining the light on darkness, will enable people like me, Pastor Kraig and others to speak truth to power. Keep on bringing up subjects like these.

Blessed

Pastor Lance

Ed Johnson III said...

Lance, please go over to my blog. I have a question that I would like hear your answer on. Kraig is doing the same thing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank your Pastor Lance. I appreciate it more than you know. I will be back.

L.J.

Anonymous said...

Well Rev. Mann, I totally agree with you about homosexuality is a sin. However being the person I am, I have to address certain criteria that many preachers, especially black preachers seem to forget to acknowledge. SIN is SIN. Many times man puts magnitude on the sin that is committed, however God doesnt. So Brother James sleeping with Brother John is the same thing as Rev. Paul sleeping with Sister Susie who is not his wife. Both are totally wrong, but usually because the sin of homosexuality is more seen or easier to point out, its usually more addressed. Now I know that the homosexual has to get right too, and I am not defending them per-say, but the glutton, the liar, the gossip, the etc, all need to be addressed...IN THE SAME MANOR. I have been @ sermons where the pastor/preacher spends 5 minutes on those other topics, but then begins to gay-bash for the next 20 minutes. Now thats not right. I know that the music ministry is usually attacked but the homosexual demon first, but Satan was CHIEF musician. So he has to start where he is familiar. Rev. Mann trust me I am a born again believer in Christ Jesus, and I go to a Bible teaching church where I learn weekly the do's and dont's of Christiandom. So i dont want you to think that I am a random angry homosexual. I am not! I am a random, intrigued married man for 6 years, 1 child here (with my wife after marriage) and twins on the way, I just wanted to address you. I eagerly await your response.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Well my brother, you have certainly given me a well thought out response to my blog entry on homosexuality. I want to state up front that I am not now nor will I ever condone or participate in gay-bashing for the simple fact that while being gay is a sin, it is no different than any other sin that is talked of in the Holy Writ. This blog entry was a response to a direct question by another anonymous man who just wanted my view on the topic.

I do believe that homosexuality has become so accepted within the household of faith that it seems to be everywhere from the pulpit to the instruments to the choir to the rest of the church, but so has adultery and fornication, so those topics need to be addressed in church as well.

I am very happy to hear that you are married with one child and twins on the way (bless your heart man), for you are the type of Man that God is looking for to be at the forefront of this intense battle with Satan.

Please feel free to continue to check out my blog and give comments as you deem fit. May the Lord bless you and keep you and your growing family.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Lance...let me tell you--you have done a great job in addressing this very sensitive (and timely) issue. I love your blogs and thank you for allowing the Lord to speak through you to speak to those who read.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Lance. I was browsing back over past blogs of yours and came upon the comments of the Brother with the twins. I know as far as God is concerned Sin IS Sin. But, aren't there some sins God hates more? I know of some Christians who struggle with homosexuality, that deals with the guilt because of this word "Abomination". And, what about the sin of Blasphamy? isn't that a worst sin above others? PLEASE help me out with this one.

Anonymous Blogger/LJ

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Brother LJ, you again have asked a couple of wonderful and pertinent questions. First of all, it is true, God uses a different word for homosexuality than any other sin, he does call it an abomination, which is defined to mean that God detests and abhors the act of homosexuality. In the sight of God, he uses a much stronger verb than just to dislike.

Now when it comes to blasphemy, Matthew 12 talks about when a demon possessed man who was blind and mute was brought to Jesus, he healed him and the people were so amazed that they asked out loud, could this really be the Son of David? The Pharisees heard this and said that only Beelzebul, the prince of demons can cast out demons. Jesus asks how can Satan cast out Satan? He then says every sin and blasphemy can be forgiven, but if you fail to recognize the presence of the Holy Spirit at work in the lives of God's people, that's blasphemy of the Holy Ghost which cannot be forgiven.

The bible tells us that when a person becomes saved, he immediately is given the Holy Spirit deposited on the inside of him, and any person with the Spirit of God on the inside is not capable of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

I don't consider myself a bible scholar, but I hope that this long post (lol) helps you find an answer to what you question. Be blessed and keep asking those questions, God doesn't desire that we be ignorant of His Word, His Will and His Way.

Pastor Lance

Anonymous said...

Pastor Lance, I am so happy I asked those questions rather than just reading the other Brother's comments and have it keep bothering me as it was. I really like the response to the blasphemy question. I have a cousin who denounces God and all He represents. He publicly (every chance he gets) says that he has committed the unforgivable sin (referring to blasphemy). Now, I understand how a person can be so blatant in making such comments. I remember when he was baptized some years ago. But obviously he never recieved the Holy Spirit.

I am also happy to know that what I learned from bible study and Sunday School was not contradicted by what I was hearing in that Brothers words that all sin is the same. Will the abominable sin of homosexuality, in the sight of God reap greater consequences? Or, God just hates it more? If the homosexual claim salvation does this sin void being saved?

Pastor Lance I do appreciate your patience. I have complete confidence that you speak the truth. You will never know how much this is helping not only me but others. I look forward to hearing from Pastor Kraig. He is another Pastor that seems so real and committed to his ministry. Thank you for your indulgence. I Look forward to reading more of your words.

LJ