Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Church That Made God Sick

This past Lord's Day we concluded our series on Jesus' letters to the 7 Churches of Asia Minor, called Strengthening the Foundations of the Church, with an exposition on the Church of Laodicea. It was this church, that the Lord used the strongest condemnation than any of the other 6 churches. Jesus, in his attempt to get them to understand this condemnation, uses their geographical location to explain to them his issue with this church. Laodicea sat in between two cities, Hierpolis and Colossae, whose responsibility was for one to funnel cold water into Laodicea and the other hot water into the city. When the cold water met the hot water, it naturally turned the water lukewarm, and if anyone drank of this lukewarm water it would make them sick and cause them to regurgitate. So Jesus says to them, just as you drinking lukewarm water makes you sick, lukewarm Christians make Him sick. Here is the sermon outline:

Text: Revelation 3:14-22

Thesis: God desires a church that is willing to clearly define whose side they are standing on

I. A Church of Compromise

-verses 15-16...I know your works: you are neither cold not hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth

II. A Church of Confusion

-verse 17...For you say I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked

III. A Church That's Comforted

-verse 19...Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent

2 comments:

Rev. F. D. Harris Blog said...

This is an awesome look my brotha. It's ironic that I'm currently teaching this is our mid-week. So warning: It will be preached in Southern Cal. LOL!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Hey bud, that's fine with me, it really ain't mine in the first place, it belongs to the Lord. But thanks for telling me though LOL