Monday, May 11, 2009

Sunday Stuff

I have been experiencing some severe writer's block for the last few weeks and that has caused me to become a little lax with my blogging. I really don't know why, other than the fact that I am so consumed with our project that I just haven't been able to shake this block. But the good news is that today, I began to feel the itch to write again, so here I am back again.

Mother's Day is a very difficult day for me as many of you know, since my Momma went home to be with the Lord in 2006, and yesterday was no different. I found myself just thinking about all of the things that she did for me. How she went without so that I could have, it made me not be tearful, but more appreciative for all that my Momma did for me. I love her and miss her greatly!

My big brother Pastor Michael Jordan (yes that's his name) and his wife continued our pre-Mother's Day tradition of going out the day before and we had an outstanding time at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. M.J. lost his mother in 2007 so it was an emotional time of sharing, but we made it through together.

Yesterday was a pretty good day in worship at First Mount Zion, but the truth is that special days are not really my favorite days to preach in because there are people who come to church just because their mother or grandmother made them come, and they do not come to worship God. That makes it a little tough to have worship like we should, but the Lord brought us through.

I continued our series on the Beatitudes entitled Developing Christian Character, with an exposition on Matthew 5:8 which says, blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God, which I labeled simply A Clean Heart. Jesus writes this 6th principle for living like a Christian in response to the hypocrisy of the Pharisees who focused on an outward expression of obedience to the rules of religion and not an inward desire to have a closer connection with the Lord. So he writes this principle to charge the people of God to place their entire focus not on externalities but rather on an internal desire to have a heart that is pure and connected to Jesus Christ.

For too many of us have become satisfied with a head religion, which means that as long as we can remember our favorite scriptures and a few hymns, then everything is alright. Or we have become satisfied with a hand religion, which suggests that we have become more concerned with being dutiful instead of being faithful. Jesus says he desires not that we have a head religion, nor a hand religion, but he wants us to possess and exhibit a heart religion. I will post the outline tomorrow.

I want to say a word of gratitude to our blogging mother, Momma V, who has stepped into a mother-like figure for me and I want her to know that on this day, I am grateful that both you and Pops have become fixtures not just in my life, but in the lives of all of your biological and blogging sons. Thanks and we love you guys greatly.

6 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am more than elated to have become your surrogate Mother. I thought of you many times (truly)during the course of my busy day on Sunday. I wondered how you were fairing this Mother's Day, knowing your thoughts and emotions surrounded your Mother's memory. I whispered a prayer for you.

You will never know how much it meant to me to have you call me on Mother's Day while I was driving back home from Houston. I want you to know that Pops and I don't take our relationship with you lightly. You will always be a part of the family. I long to meet and bond with my other blog sons as I have with you. Be blessed Pastor Mann. I love you.

Momma V.

p.s. I think you may want to ask Pastor Lane what happened in regards to me on Mother's Day.

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Pastor,

I admire how the Lord still uses you while in the middle of your own human hurts and pain. I praise God even more for the people He places in our lives to help us deal with that pain. May God continue to bless and keep you is my prayer.

Owens

Ronald said...

God be praised for all that He has done is doing and will do. I hear the pain in your writing but I also hear the resolve to continue ministry and life in a Christ honoring way. Praise God for “Mother V.” God knows how and who to place into our lives to help us cope and continue as we journey through this valley called life.

Strong message on mother’s day, keep preaching/teaching, and living God will see you through.

I lost my Grandmother in 1997 who raised me from an infant as her own I called her mom and she called me son.

It hurts but I’m determining to go where she is.

Ron

Clinton Smith said...

Praise God for your return to writing. IS Michael Jordan in your church? That ain't fair! You a Fakers fan.

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Thanks for the blog son. It was truly a blessing and I am happy that you have, so to speak, picked up the pen again.
Sounds like the Beatitudes series is continuing to go well. I know exactly what you mean as it relates to the spirit of the "special day crowd." It is pretty evident that they do not have the spirit of "I woke up this morning with my mind stayed on Jesus." But, praise God, they got a very good dose of the word and that word will not return void and just might be the word that will cause them at some point to realize that they need the Lord in their lives.
Also, rest assured that we, your family, share the hurt and sense of loss you feel. We were and continue to be in the yoke with you.
One thing is certain, Momma, who is among that "great cloud of witness", is smiling down on you and rejoicing over how God is using her son.
Momma V and I are totally honored to have been given the privilege and blessing of being a part of your life. And you talk about a good time, man, when all of the saints of God get toghether in "that day." What a time, what a time, what a time!"

By the tie of Calvary
Pops

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Great post my brother. I commend you on weathering the storm of a trying day. No doubt you preached like you lost your mind and the people of God were blessed. Everybody aint able to eat @ Ruth's Chris...lol. Have a great week!