Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Supporting A Friend

I am still in Indiana until my flight leaves later tonight and I am ready to get home to my family and my church. Last night, Rev. Witherspoon and myself traveled to Maywood, Illinois to support one of my real good friends, Rev. Romell Williams who is the Pastor of the Lilydale Progressive Baptist Church in Chicago, as he preached at the Rock of Ages Baptist Church, for an ordination service. Rev. Williams and I first met last year, but recently we have began what I feel will be a great and productive friendship in that we talk about preaching and pastoring with every conversation, which is welcomed by me, because I need my steel to be sharpened by the steel of another pastor who understands the plight of the journey.

Rev. Williams preached an awesome exposition from 2 Timothy 4:16-18 which he called "When God Stands Up For You", it was timely and relevant for the occasion, and most of all he hit a home run on last night. I love preaching and I love someone who shows that he has put his time into the preparation of his attempt at biblical exposition. Hearing him "say it" and the fellowship afterwards, made me want to get right back to work for this week for Sunday morning at First Mount Zion.

I believe, in this day and age when preachers are more concerned with talking to each other about their tailors, how many members they lie about having, how much money they raise and are paid from their churches, how much their shoes cost...etc, it is refreshing for young Pastors to just get together and talk about the preaching of the Gospel. I was helped and encouraged by our conversation and the future of our friendships. I can't wait to see what God has in store for all of us that were present together on last night. TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!!

No comments: