Monday, October 6, 2008

The Blessedness of Christian Unity

We began our series during our Month of Unity, which I tagged the entires series, Unity: An Open Door Towards A Brighter Tomorrow, with our look at one of the most famous verses in scripture on unity housed in the great book of Psalms, 133:1-3. I found this song interesting in that David was able to talk about brothers expressing unity one with another, when David's family had a history of not being united. But David understood that unity among God's people was essential for service. It is a blessing when God's people stick together. Here is the sermon outline:

Text: Psalms 133:1-3

Thesis: our willingness as children of God to walk together in unity, pleases God and activates the rich blessings of God on our lives

I. Sanctification of Christian Unity

-verse 2...it is like the precious oil on the head running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes
-unity of the people of God is like precious oil that was used to consecrate the high priest to set aside for service

II. Strengthening of Christian Unity

-verse 3...it is like the dew of Hermon which falls on the mountains of Zion
-God uses unity to refresh his people and keep them from withering away

III. Subsidy of Christian Unity

-verse 3...for there the Lord has commanded the blessing, life forevermore
-subsidy means reward
-whenever God's people stick together they are rewarded with life forevermore

12 comments:

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Stellar notes Lance!!! It never ceases to amaze me the clarity of your sermon outlines; I do wish I could take one of your sermon preparation courses when offered. You and H.B. do an excellent job putting together those outlines.

Fitts said...

Yes, I agree with pastor K P, very clear and to the point outline. The heart of expository preaching.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lance sounds like the Lord is blessing you in your work in your current series on unity. This is a great outline.
I am curious how those words "precious oil" and "dew of Hermon" helped you to arrive a their respective points?

Tony R.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Tony, thanks for the encouragement. The precious oil represents God's anointing for consecration, which explains sanctification and dew of Hermon represents God's refreshment which gives us strength. Hope that helps you understand.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Great Bishop!!!!

You did it again. Great outline my brother. I'm with Pastor Kraig, when does class start.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am happy that Unity Month is going well. I did pray for it's success and will continue throughout the month.

By the way, I think Pastor Kraig could also teach a class on sermon outlines. And...Tony, Spoon, Kevin, McGhee, Ed, Lance, Aaron, and W.L. as well.

This is my humble oppinion :-)

Mother

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Wow... A solid and sound sermon can always be expected from you my beloved brother. As all have resounded, it is both refreshing and encouraging to see such a practical and powerful approach to exposition.

Thanks for sharing
Kevin

Clinton Smith said...

Great outline Mann! Keep it up. Hey, does anyone know how Witherspoon is doing? I miss his blogging presence.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Witherspoon is doing great! He's on vacation and enjoying his time off. I talk to him everyday and he will be back blogging real soon.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Glad to know where Doc. is. Hope he is having a good time being off. Pastor and I have about three more weeks and it's off to Vegas we go. Some time off at last! Next time you talk with him tell him his blog Mom says hello and I miss him.

Take care
Mother

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Thanks Pastor Mann for sharing yet another powerful outline. Once again I have been truly blessed.
Being a part of this blog family affords many fringe benefits. Praise the Lord! I am happy to be a part.
God bless.

Reginald C. Payne said...

OH how many believers need to here about unity! great outline stay encouraged in your endeavors.