Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Single Minded Church

Text: Philippians 3:13-14

Thesis: if we have a single minded attitude in this life, there will be something greater awaiting for us in the next life

I. Forget the Past

-verse 13...brethren I count not myself to be apprehended but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind me
-forget in the Greek means to completely forget...in the imperative which means it is a command which suggests that if we don't forget the past it is a sin against God

a. conclusion of past - brethren I count...count means careful consideration of past thoughts about oneself, will bring you to a conclusion that you have not arrived

b. completion of the process - brethren I count not myself to be apprehended...apprehended means a past completed process that still holds true in the present...Paul held on to Jesus so that he would not turn back to sin

c. conduct of our purpose - forgetting those things which are behind...Paul uses Olympic imagery...carries the idea of a runner winning a race by not looking behind at his opponents which will slow him down

II. Fight in the Present

-verse 13...reaching towards those things which are before me
-people will put obstacles in your way that will attempt to stifle your progress in the race
-must be willing to fight in order to reach your destination

a. fighting takes strength - by reading the bible, praying and Christian fellowship

b. fighting takes stamina - God does not need runners who will give up at mid-race, but he's looking for those that will endure until the end

c. fighting takes simplicity - remember who's team you are running for

III. Finish With the Prize

-verse 14...I press towards the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus
-this high calling is not a call to this life...but it is a call to the next life
-in Olympics, when you win a race, you are given a crown, but in the next race, somebody can come and take your crown
-but when you run for the Master, that crown will never be taken away.

6 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Revun! This a great outline and post. Your committment to expository preaching is a joy to behold. I know the church on Sunday had to be on fire.Preach on!

Fitts said...

Bro Pastor, another hot outline!!! You are the master with outlines. FIRST MOUNT ZION BAPTIST CHURCH is blessed to have Lance the Mann as pastor!

Keep up the good work Doc, you are an encouragement to us preachers!

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Great outline Revun!!!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

What a great outline Lance!!! This will live again. I would like to see either a blog or comment on how you go about putting together you outlines. They are always well put together and structured. Awesome my friend.

Anonymous said...

Heavy Mann, Heavy....great outline. Brother I wish I had been there to hear it.
Keep preaching brother and may the Lord honor your faithfulness to His word!
Thanks.

Be Encouraged.

Tony

Reginald C. Payne said...

rev I want the crown!