Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sunday Stuff

-This past Sunday was an interesting day to say the least. Actually the entire weekend was quite interesting. My wife's family had their reunion here in Newark for the weekend and they had a lot of events such as a banquet on Friday, cookout on Saturday, and it culminated on Sunday with worship at First Mt. Zion with a dinner afterwards (more on that later).

-This was a challenging weekend because my wife had her reunion to deal with and I had to deal with moving things that our church no longer wanted to keep out of the building so that the new congregation could continue their renovation of the building. I had to leave from doing that and do some running around before worship on Sunday, and to top it off, all of that had to be done in consistent 100 degree heat and seemingly 200 degrees of humidity. I then received a phone call from my good friend Dr. Vernon C. Walton who serves as the Pastor of the Mt. Calvary Baptist Church of Englewood, NJ to preach at his Saturday Evening service, which the Lord led me to preach an exposition on John 21:15-17 which I call Do You Really Love Jesus? I am grateful for the strength that the Lord gave me to preach his Word and I pray that the people were blessed as well.

-On Sunday, we continued our series on the Model Prayer found in Matt. 6 by presenting an exposition on the phrase uttered by Jesus in the B clause of verse 10, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, which I entitled A Prayer of Submission. My central argument was that sincere prayers of believers of Jesus Christ are prayers of commitment to submit every aspect of our lives to a Holy God. The problem with many of us is that we want God to bless our agendas and our desires instead of praying to him to align what we want with what he wants for our lives. I was really excited about preaching on Sunday because there were people in my wife's family who really needed to hear that message and members of our congregation as well needed to hear it. Most of all God blessed the worship, to Him be all the glory.

-Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we dined sufficiently after worship, so much so that I almost forsook my diet to just eat my hearts desire. But alas, I held firm to my commitment of losing some weight by not over-eating, but I did get my belly full (LOL).

3 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith D. Witherspoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Lance, I know you experienced the Lord's sufficient supply for your lack this past week. Isn't it just like Him to do the most when we are the least?

God be praised bro.

Keep up the good work. Praying for you.


Tony R.