Monday, September 22, 2008

Peril of A Prideful Steward

Worship was really good on yesterday. The Lord showed up in our church as we had a real good praise and worship period. I had no expectation of a good day in worship because we didn't get into the church until about 10:30. We share the building that we sold with the buyers and they are supposed to open the church at 9:00 am every Sunday. I am really trying not to allow our attorney to put some heavy pressure on them, however this is the third time that this has happened and if it continues to occur, something must be done. In spite of this the Lord really blessed the worship and he blessed my feeble attempt at biblical exposition.

We continued our series on tithing and stewardship entitled Developing a Giving Church, with our look at a parable of Jesus Christ found in Luke's account, 18:9-14. Here Jesus gives this parable to those who trusted themselves to make them righteous and treated others with contempt. He compares the offering of a Pharisee and a tax collector, who both enters into the temple to pray, the Pharisee brings his offering with pride but the tax collector brings his with reverence to the Lord. This Pharisee attempts to extol his virtues by shining a light of condemnation on the sins of this tax collector and others. Jesus says that God is looking for those who recognize that they owe God a worship offering because of what God has done for them and not those who try to bring attention to themselves. Here is the sermon outline:

Title: Peril of a Prideful Steward
Text: Luke 18:9-14

Thesis: God blesses our gifts when they are given out of devotion and not out of display

I. Devoted Givers Are Respectful

-verse 13...but the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven
-this tax collector expressed his repentance and respect to the Lord by the manner in which he comes into the presence of God
-the Pharisee comes with high-mindedness...the tax collector stands far off

a. manner of his respect...standing far off...he kept his distance under a sense of great unworthiness due to his life of sin

b. meditations in his respect...would not even lift up his eyes to heaven...this sinful tax collector thought about his life of sin and didn't even want the Lord to see his face

II. Devoted Givers Are Reticent


-verse 13...but beat his breast saying, God be merciful to me, a sinner
-this prayer was short in presentation yet succinct in its purpose
-the tax collector comes humbly to the Lord and asks not for material things...he only asks the Lord, have mercy on me for I am a sinner

III. Devoted Givers Attain Recognition


-verse 14...for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted

9 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Great Outline!! You are a wonderful brother!!

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Brother pastor this is another helpful and powerful outline. I am truly being blessed by this series.
I am also praying for your continued strength and patience with the "running late situation." "This too shall pass."
By the tie of Calvary

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Pastor Mann, I can only imagine the stress associated with trying to "accomodate" the sharing of your facilities for now. It calls to my rememberance the time that a local church here suffered flooding of their worship center. Being that we have services early (9:30am) I thought it the brotherly and Christian thing to do to offer them an opportunity to use our facilities after our services. Wow... When I say it ended up creating "tension" it would be an understatement. However, God provided and sustained the patience of our church family. As "pops" has shared, it won't last always.

Also, thanks for another great outline. God's people can do nothing but be increased through solid and sound preaching of this kind.

Kevin

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Once again I am helped by another one of my Son's outlines. You guys keep me on my toes. I really do read them and try my best to comprehend and absorb. God is good to open new understanding each time. God be praised!

Don't get distracted in your situation with sharing your space and being timely. This is just another tactic of you know who.
Thanks for sharing.

Mother

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I continue to be amazed by your courage to preach tithing under the circumstances. My prayer is that the windows of heaven will open up and pour out a blessing that you don't have room enough to receive. Great outline! Keep the faith!

Clinton Smith said...

Great outline! Hang in there during your project. I know it can be stressful but focus on your church's ministry potential and growth during this process. It helps when obstacles come your way, I tried it.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Pastor Lance,
When is your Pastoral Anniversary? Have you had it already this year? If so, do you have a date for next year's anniversary yet? I will find out the other Son's dates as well.

Mother

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great outline my brother! Keep up the good work. God bless you and your ministry!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Man..this is another great post!!! I am still feasting on the Philippians 1:6 passage and outline; to which I am still frigthened to preach. But will soon. You are leading me to begin again on stewardship before the year is out. Please continue to share as the Lord gives it to you. You are a gift to us my friend. Believe that.