Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Focus

I have decided to use Fridays to write a thought provoking blog post on issues that we all face as Pastors that are entrenched in ministry. We spend a lot of time putting our sermon outlines and our political ideologies and vacations on our blog, but I really felt the heavy burden of dealing with things that will affect us as Pastor/Preachers in this present age.

Today, I would like to broach the topic of preachers who put a price tag on the Gospel. We live in a day and age where it has become common practice for preachers, when they receive invitations to stand in another Pastor's pulpit, to place a dollar figure on his time of preaching. Many of them will send correspondence through their respective secretaries that inform the inviting church of the "needs" that the Pastor must have met before he will come to minister at the church. Some of them even go as far to confront the Pastor and officers of the church if they come short of what they think they should receive.

Now I need to state up front that I truly believe in the Word of God which says that a laborer is worthy of its hire, and he who preaches the Gospel shall live off the Gospel, and those who laborer over the word is worth double honor. Churches ought to take care of the preacher/pastor without reservation. But what I am talking about is this incessant need to put a price tag on something that God has given us freely. I am referring to a preacher requesting an enormous amount of money and that Pastor emptying out his church's treasury to pay this enormous amount to the Pastor.

Some years ago, while I served at the New Hope Baptist Church, Newark, NJ, a well-known female preacher was called by our Women's Day committee to preach the service for that year. Her staff informed us that she needed a few days to pray over the invitation. But when she returned the call, she stated that she took those few days to perform some research on our church in which she discovered that our church was one of the affluent churches in this area. So she stated to us that her fee to come and preach our Women's Day service was 250,000. My pastor was appalled and he told her thanks but no thanks.

My opinion is that we as preachers are really missing a golden opportunity to change the culture of our profession. Forever, preachers have been labeled as pimps, thieves and other hideous names, and when we come to pillage a church for their money, we are helping to perpetuate this negative connotation of what and who a preacher really is. God said that our gifts will make room for us and as long as we take care of his business, he will take good care of our business. The gift of any preacher is not for sale. We need to learn that what the Lord has given us to share with this world so that sinners will find rest in the arms of Jesus Christ, not to make ourselves feel like we are God's gift to the world and like He needs us. Let me suggest to you that God doesn't need us for anything. Gos does not have to allow us to use our gifts, but we are privileged to be allowed to stand as imperfect people before other imperfect people to deliver the perfect Word of God. And when you recognize this, how can we have the audacity to put price tags on the Gospel.

Now I totally understand why many of our brethren and sisters of the faith have undertaken this objective, far too long, we have labored over the Word all week long in order to have our lessons correct. When we mount the pulpit on Sunday, we put our all into the act of delivering the message to a lost world, and we don't receive enough money to put gas in the car or get our clothes clean. I get that! But what I have discovered is that we serve a great God who is able to supply each and every need that we have as a reward for our faithfulness to him with our service.

There have been times in my ministry where I have traveled 860 miles to preach and received nothing from the church I preached at and they have thousands of dollars in the bank, and while on that same trip, preached for another church and received the whole sum of $91 from a good church. Never did I want to result to requesting an amount before or after those incidents, because I do believe in the rewarding plan of God. My question to you all is, when Pastors make demands on the people for the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, has that helped or hindered the perception of us in the eyes of the people of God.

8 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I have been waiting on a post such as this for a while. In my opinion this is an example of a passion that someone else may also have, yet restrain from expressing for whatever reason. I am a lover of constructive debate. I was also happy to see Rev. Ed Johnson's question that he raised on his last blog and would love to see the Pastor's comments.

I do think that in the eyes of most that such demands have hindered the perception of some ministers. We have seen the downfall of many because of such demands and prosperities which have added fuel to fire.

It is ridiculous to make such outlandish honorarium requests in order to come preach. I do think there should be compensation and most definitely all expenses paid by the host church.

Many Pastors are bi-vocational because their churches are unable to support a full time Pastor. For this reason, Every church should always be fair to a guest preacher or it's own Pastor that brings to them the gospel. This is a GREAT post.

Fitts said...

Pastor Mann, this is a very thought provoking post. I can’t believe what we are witnessing some preachers do with the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. It brings shame to the body of Christ.

Paul turned down money, so as not to be a stumbling block to those he ministered to. I have not, and never will ask for an honorarium for the very reason you stated, the gospel I preach is not my own.

I have received from 0 to thousands for preaching, and not one time has money ever been my motivation. The giving of an honorarium is more of a blessing for the one giving then it is for the one receiving. Our blessings come when we are able spend ourselves in service for the Lord and when lives are being changed because our ministry.

What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it. 1 Cor. 9:18

Excellent Post my friend,

DeAntwan

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

Wow! I must be really inocent? I didnt know this went on. I work a full time job and minister. And i will preach for free where every god wants me to. Anytime! I find it a privilege and an honor to preach the word of God. I just love Gods people and want to help. Pastor i thank you because this was an interesting and informative post. I really didnt know that people made those kind of demands on churches.

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Interesting Post.

I just have one question. What is the difference in charging upfront vs. receiving an honorarium and then complaining that it wasnt enough in the first place?

God Chaser said...

Wonderful post
I agree with you not being a pastor- i believe tthe church should take of thier pastors and those visiting. But I lose respect for those who demand a certain amount before they will come. I do not believe such are truly interested in my soul.

Unknown said...

Lance great post and troubling of the waters! Demanding money at all, not matter the amount cast a negative light upon us as preachers. I like all preachers have gone and preached for nothing and I can tell you as of today I have missed no meals because of it!
But I also believe that the church should not take advantage of preachers by not adequately and generously providing an honorarium.

We are to be benefits to the church not look to always benefit from the church!

Looking forward to next Friday.

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Ummm... Wow.... Oh.... This cuts right down the center of a problem and struggle I have had for some time. Being that I am the Pastor of an "up and coming" congregation, we are NOT always privledged to have EVERY resource afforded us. This has always caused me to be cognizant of who I invite, etc. I have also been in the situation in which I DROVE numerous miles with a wife and five children, in which we had to get lodging, and then received every bit of 40 dollars. I have always been humbled enough by the opportunity to preach the gospel that I remain, as the Apostle Paul would say, content. However, I have also always had the mindset that we ought always be fair. Though I do not totally agree with the process and protocal of requiring any specific honorarium before one agrees to "appear" at a venue or event, I do believe we as Christians have an obligation to be fair. Paul, and even Christ, eluded to the idea that those who "preach the gospel should live of the gospel." So ultimately, there is a very fine line. As preachers, we should NEVER get caught up in financial or providential gain by way of the gospel. However, no church or organization should expect us to share the gospel at our OWN expense. It's just not right to expect this. Should we "muzzle the ox that treads out the corn." Should we "send the soldier to war at his own expense?" Therefore, it should be the aim of EVERY born again Christian to "live within their means" and invite preachers/facilitators that are within our realm of support and compensation. It is our obligation as preachers to make sure we are in it for the UPRIGHT reason of sharing/spreading the gospel.

Kevin

Clinton Smith said...

Lance, you must have been reading my mind. I wanted to write the same post.

I've preached in a prayer bowl every January for the last 3 years and never received an offering. But I keep going because the impact of the Word on the young people attending outweighs the $ I would receive. And there have been times when I preached places and received $25 that feels like a slap in the face.

I do believe that we should take care of preachers, financially, who come to minister the word of God to our congregation. How we do it and how much is always up for debate. I don't think anyone is appreciative of an offering if it does not meet our dollar standard. It used to be a time when a $100 offering was acceptable but now we want nothing less than $250 and sometimes more.

I think it's a matter of our ministry objective. If our ministry objective is to be rich then we'll price tag the preaching moment and/or what receive after the preaching. But if our ministry objective is to impact lives advance the kingdom then we will preach with no cost attached.

I also, believe that the price tag on the preaching invitation is to make up for what our churches aren't doing or can't do for the pastor financially. So, price tag our invitations.

This sounds kinda redondent but I believe it, "If you take care of God's business, He will take of your business."

My translation, "If you take care of God's Word, He'll take care of your wealth".