Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Speaking @ Mount Calvary BC, Jersey City, NJ

Last night I had the expressed privilege of preaching for the 20th Anniversary Celebration of Preaching for one of my good friends in the ministry, Pastor Barron O. Wilson, who leads the Mount Calvary Church where his father Pastored for many years before him. Pastor Wilson is somebody's preacher! He has a heart for people that allows him to reach into the very consciousness of people, to help them see where they truly belong in the Kingdom of God.

There have been many times when I have gone to him for counsel and he has never failed to provide for me the right information and methods that I needed at that time. It was during my first year of preaching and the invitations were few and far between, when Pastor Wilson invited me to stand in his pulpit and present to the people God put him over, my convictions about Jesus Christ. And ever since that day, he has been a big part of my life and my ministry.

I wanted to deal with something that was not a common text for a Pastor's Anniversary. I lifted a great text from Exodus 3:13-14, which I tagged the Remedy For Our Inadequacies. The reality is that no matter who you are, all of us have experienced a real sense of being inadequate on this journey. It matters not if you have been in ministry for 50 years or 5 minutes, there comes a time in our lives where we feel like we just don't measure up to this awesome task that God has presented for us. Moses, that great emancipator, felt the same way while on the backside of a Midianite desert, he hears a voice crying out from a burning bush, telling him to go into Egypt and tell Pharaoh to let God's people go. Moses replied who is he to go and tell this deified being anything, God replied to him, five of the greatest words ever recorded in verse 14, I AM WHO I AM (ESV). Here is the sermon skeleton:

Thesis: our sucess as servants of God rest totally in our complete trust that during moments of inadequacies God will make up the difference

I. Trust in the Evidence of His Existence

-I AM...this phrase literally is defined to mean God is self-existent
-Pharaoh considered himself to be the direct descendent of the Egyptian sun god Rah...in which he feels that he exists because the sun god exists
-God tells Moses to tell Pharaoh that while he needs the sun to exists, the sun needs God to exist
-how do we know God exists:

a. scripture states it
b. scenery suggests it
c. spirit senses it

II. Trust in the Presence of His Personality

-I AM WHO
-God's personality is expressed to many different people in different ways

III. Trust in the Awesomeness of his Authority

-I AM WHO I AM
-God's has the power to accomplish any and everything

Please pray for the family of my Pastor, Joe A. Carter, who are dealing with the loss of their beloved mother Wynona Hutchinson, who went home to be with Jesus on last night. She was an extraordiarily strong woman who survived plenty of heartache in her life, to exemplify what it means to be a wife, mother and a woman of God.

8 comments:

Fitts said...

Mann,

you gone make me shout!!!

Bro. I wish I could have been there.

I just said a prayer thanking the Lord for your faithfulness. Your passion for biblical exposition is commendable.

As A.A McGhee says, keep your hand in the plow.

May Grace and Peace be multiplied upon you and your ministry,

DeAntwan

Shanita Waters said...

Hi Pastor... I'm sure that was some awesome message becasue your outline was awesome.

Blessings!
Shanita

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

GREAT sermon my son. This will preach all the way to the white house. We all can apply this to every aspect of our lives but certainly while striving to fulfil our spiritual expectations on our journey. While reading your outline it served as a present encouragement to trust God fully.

I will be in prayer for Pastor Carter and family during their time of bereavement.

Mother

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

My secretary thinks I am crazy( confirming what she already knows) because I just shouted in my office. Thanks for passing the word on about Joe, we will hold him up in our prayers as he has been through so much.

Ronald said...

Faithful work brother. It's good to hear and see that God allowed you to push past your trepidation and boldly declare what He had placed on your heart.

Convey to your Pastor that he has people all over the country praying for him and his family.

Remain faithful,
Ron

Anonymous said...

LANCE MANN LANCE MANN, BOY BOY

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Revun, you are a spiritual dump truck filled with kingdom cargo!!

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Great outline my friend! You are a preaching machine.