Saturday, August 30, 2008

A New Series

I have a big problem with my preaching. Whenever I am not in a series, I sometimes feel like I playing a game of darts in the dark, aiming at whatever I see and hoping I hit something that will give me a good score. When it comes to preaching, and I am not in a series, I feel handicapped and inadequate to be a blessing to the people that God places me in charge of. So what I usually do is when I get about 1/2 way through a series, I pray and ask God for guidance and leadership towards the next series of sermons that will help our congregation become the church that God is looking for in these evil days.

So as I began consulting the Lord on the next series, the Lord led me to see that we are now in a relocation project that is totally and completely a faith walk by the Pastor, leadership and members of the First Mount Zion Church Family, and in order to relocate in a manner such as the one we are embarking upon, the finances of our church needs to become a whole lot stronger than it is. While it is true that we sold our building for a real good sum of money, it would make no sense to use all of our resources on the move and have nothing left to build on. We need to increase our giving and fast!

So the Lord led me to begin a series on tithing and stewardship, and in doing so, he led me to an awesome book by the man who wrote the 5-Star Church, Stan Toler and Elmer Townes, which I am using as the title of our series, Developing A Giving Church. This book entails certain principles and practices that will encourage your church to become a church that gives.

Tomorrow we will be dealing with the parable of Jesus to his disciples in Matthew 20:1-16 as we deal with the matter of our actions and attitudes towards our lives as stewards. Please pray for the series, our church and me as I seek the guidance of the Lord to be a rich blessing to our congregation.

3 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am always thankful when God leads our Pastor in the area of preaching and teaching. It is as though the sermon presented to us as a family of believers was designed specifically for us. And God is so good and so wise because that same word ministers to us and enables individual Christian growth.

I am praying for the series Pastor Lance. I am sure God will bless you to "preach a little" and bless the First Mt. Zion Family as well.

Mother

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

May God give you strength as you remind His people of their stewardship. Preach Revuunnnn!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lance, pray that things went well with the message on yesterday. It is always a greater challenge for the preacher and pugh when money and giving is the topic. But God's word is sufficient to meet every challenge we face as ministers of the gospel, even when it comes to expositions on passages having to do with how believers should honor God with their material substance.

Keep preaching the Word and we are praying for FMZBC during this transition period.

Tony R.