Monday, August 25, 2008

Winning The Battle With Sin

Yesterday, the Lord allowed us to conclude our series on the exposition of the model prayer in Matthew 6, with the closing phrase of Jesus teaching us the road map to having a life filled with prayer, with the petition found in verse 13, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Many may be asking the same question that our congregation asked, what happened to the phrase, for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever amen. That phrase is not in the original translation of the scrolls, but was added to other versions later.

This phrase, begins with the conjunction and, which is a connector of this verse with the previous verse in the entire prayer. Verse 12 tells us that we should pray forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors, and then Jesus tells us to pray and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. The point is that after we have received forgiveness and restoration, we need the Lord to help keep us on the right path and away from a lifestyle of defeat at the hands of sin. The only way to win this battle with sin is to pray to the Lord, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. Here is the sermon outline:

Thesis: true believers of Jesus Christ weigh their past life of sin against a future life of grace and make the decide never to return again.

I. Our Disposition in This Battle

-we must come to the reality that no matter who or what we think we are, all of us are susceptible to a lifestyle of sin

II. Our Deficiency in This Battle

-this prayer acknowledges that we are unable to handle the trappings of sin in our lives and the strength of our enemy, and we set out to call on the Lord for his assistance

III. Our Discharge From This Battle

-we are discharged when we remove ourselves from this fight and totally give it to the Lord to handle all that we deal with

The Lord blessed the exposition of His Word as well as our entire worship service on yesterday. I led the singing in worship like I do every week, but the Lord really showed out this Sunday. For after the altar prayer, I led the congregation in singing the vamp of that great hymn that is normally sang during Communion Service, The Blood. The words are:

It reaches to the highest mountains; it flows to the lowest valley
the blood that gives me strength, from day to day
it will never lose its power


7 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I'm really feeling this outline. What a word and what a way to close a series. Nice!!

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

I enjoyed the outline! Preach on Revun!!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Another great sermonic outline and great description and exposition of the text. You and McGhee have some awesome insights when it comes to outlines and illustrating the text. Keep up the good work!!!

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Guys...I can never get to Witherspoon's blog. Am I doing something wrong?

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Through this outline I glimpsed over some of the battles I have had to fight. I took a moment to praise God for the victories I have won. The devil knows my weaknesses. At times I am tempted by them. I look at others who have fallen in sin and have not gotten up with a sense of sadness and joy. Sad, that one of God's own is in such a despairing condition. Joy, because except for His amazing grace that person could be me. I have to pray and put on the whole armor of God each day to fight against sin and satan. Those days when I am weak it is God who sustains me.

Wonderful sermon Pastor Mann!
Thank you so much for sharing.

Mother

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great outline and post brother! Really enjoyed it. Keep up you good work!

Tamara L. Jones said...

What a powerful and enlightening word!! Definetly somehting all believers should keep in the forefront of their minds, when in the trenches of battle.