Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Tough Day!

Today was a pretty tough day for my family. My cousin, Rev. Conway C. Johnson Jr. who pastors the New Hope Baptist Church, S. Toms River, NJ and his lovely wife Nikki had probably the hardest job ever on today, as they had to bury their 5-week old son Xavier Christian Johnson, who passed away last week due to a bout with pneumonia.

Conway and Nikki became the proud parents of a set of twins 5 weeks ago, but they were about 3 months premature, and Xavier was not strong enough to fight off the infection. I walked in to the service and after I saw Nikki break down, my emotions began to get the best of me. That's because 5-week old boys are not supposed to die according to our own thoughts, but we know that our thoughts are not the thoughts of God and our ways are not his ways.

I will say that this funeral was one of the best funerals I have ever attended, because even though it was a funeral for a baby, we could definitely feel the presence of the Lord in that place. Dr. T.H. Rankin Jr who pastors the Cathedral of Faith Baptist Church of Newark, preached an outstanding message out of II Samuel 12:15-23 which he tagged From Weeping To Worshipping. I led the worship in song by singing I Won't Complain and Center of My Joy. We had church!

Please keep my cousin and his wife in your prayers as they have to mourn quickly and find strength in Jesus to take care of their beautiful little girl.

9 comments:

Avery Minor II said...

My prayers are with your family. Stay strong!

Keith D. Witherspoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I will certainly be praying for the family. It is hard losing a child. May the Lord strengthen them and completely heal their other child. God is able.

vlpSongbird

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Doc, you know that we are praying for you and your family. Tell Conway that he is in our prayers.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Be careful for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your request be made known to God; and the peace of God.........shall keep you heart and mind through Christ Jesus,Phil.4:67. I'm praying for you.

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

God Bless you my Brother in Christ

I appreciate your kind words, and I am so thankful to have other Christian brothers to fellowship with.
After reading your latest blog I was moved in my heart with compassion for you and your family and your cousin's family. I immediately went to the Lord in prayer on there behalf. I can not think of anything harder in life than losing a child.
I have ministered at many funerals myself and there never easy. Even though we know we shall see our loved ones again.
It still does not relieve the pain that is so real in the heart of a parent.

God Bless you, I will continue to lift up this family in prayer, and pray that the peace that passes all understanding will help there hearts and minds by Christ Jesus.

I will add you to my site, and continue to look for any posts that you may write.

Brad

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Pastor Mann,

My heart and sympathy goes out to the entire family in this time of grief. We know that God will be a "very present help in the time of trouble." We rejoice that the Lord was exalted today even in the midst of.

God Bless,
Kevin L. Pullam

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Please let this borther know that I am praying for him and for your entire family.

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

God bless you my brother. My sincere prayers are with you and the entire family. I am confident that the Lord will give you and the rest of the family the strength to make it through this tough time.
I am sure that your cousin and his wife greatly appreciated your support, prayers, presence and participation.

By the tie of Calvary,
Rev. William L. Pullam